Driver Safety: Back to school is just around the corner. It’s sad to see summer coming to an end and to return to our regular routines. As we adjust back to our schedules, remember that safety is always a priority especially at the beginning of the school year when traffic can be chaotic. Remember road safety when kids are walking to and from school. Obey stop signs and schools buses. The fines are hefty for disobeying a school bus and will result in an increase in your insurance premiums. Know the rules …
When driving on a road WITHOUT a median:
- drivers travelling in both directions must stop for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing
- when you approach the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance to let children get on or off the bus and cross the road
- don’t move forward until the red lights have stopped flashing or the bus begins to move
When driving on a road WITH a median:
- traffic coming from the opposite direction is not required to stop.
Drivers can be charged if they pass a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing:
- First offence: $400 to $2,000 and six demerit points..
- Each following offence: $1,000 to $4,000, six demerit points and possible jail time(up to six months)
Vehicle owners can be charged if their vehicle illegally passes a stopped school bus, even if they weren’t driving.
Drive safely… We’re here for all of your insurance needs. Contact us today!